Officials have not yet determined the cause of death for pop star Michael Jackson, but a disturbing picture continues to emerge of the amount and range of strong prescription medications the singer was allegedly taking at or near the time of his death last Thursday.
The trial of Conrad Murray, the doctor accused of giving Michael Jackson a lethal dose of propofol, has landed the powerful sedative in the spotlight. Jackson reportedly used drug, which he called his "milk," as a sleep aid. Murray had administered the drug the day Jackson died.
This video below was featured on CNN in which Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Dr. Raphael Gershon explain the deadly effects of Diprivan when administered at home without any (or inadequate) medical supervision.
What Is Propofol?
Propofol is a fast-acting sedative that is usually administered to patients who are undergoing surgery or another medical procedure. It is a drug that reduces anxiety and tension, and promotes relaxation and sleep or loss of consciousness when injected into the veins. Most patients receiving it loses consciousness within a matter of seconds. The potency of propofol as an anesthetic is so widely known, in fact, that in anesthesiology circles, the drug, a white liquid, is nicknamed "milk of amnesia."
What Are the Dangers of Propofol?
Propofol is widely known as a risky drug, and it is generally administered only in a controlled medical setting due to the dangers it poses. It may cause complications and side effects when the drug reacts with,
- barbiturate medicines for inducing sleep or treating seizures (convulsions)
- herbal products, including St. John's wort
- medicines for anxiety or sleeping problems, such as diazepam or temazepam
- medicines for colds, breathing difficulties, or weight loss
- medicines for mental problems and psychotic disturbances
- medicines for pain
Despite the effects and risk profile of the drug, some patients who've had the drug describe it as inducing "a very pleasant sleep" that "has the potential to be habit-forming," said Dr. Howard Nearman, chairman of the anesthesiology department at University Hospitals Case Medical Center in Cleveland.
Most likely Jackson, who was reportedly on a number of different strong pain medications at the time of his death and who was alleged to have struggled with an addiction to prescription medication, likely built up a tolerance to those drugs over the years. There must have been an overdose and together with mixture of other drugs in his blood which led to his death.
A word of caution!
Sleeping pills and sedatives should be the last option when one is facing chronic insomnia. The most important thing is to find out the root of cause of sleeping disorder. Using natural remedies would be the best option before succumbing to drugs and medication if not there may be no turning back.
I would strongly recommend more natural remedies that have less harmful effects on the body. In my previous post, I shared about how changing your sleeping routines and your diet could improve sleep and reduce the risk of having chronic insomnia.
If you have any valuable word of advice, do leave a comment and share with the rest!
I wish you a good night's sleep,
I wish you a good night's sleep,