Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disorder of the bone which affects millions of individuals all over the world. Estimates suggest that the condition is one of the most common age related disorder in the developed world. In a recent study, it was observed that glucosamine was as effective as ibuprofen in the management of joint pain associated with osteoarthritis. In Australia, supplement supplies of glucosamine can cost about $ 25 per month, which is equivalent to the cost of prescription drugs and NSAIDs. There is several other Natural and Home remedies that are beneficial in the treatment of Osteoarthritis and play a pivotal role in providing sustained joint pain relief.
Osteoarthritis is a
What is Arthritis? Causes and Symptoms of Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is an age related degenerative disorder which affects the joints. As an individual ages, persistent ‘wear and tear’ of the joints results in loss of their cartilage (i.e. smooth, shock absorbing gel like material which prevent friction between adjacent bones). Damage to the cartilage results in friction between adjacent bones which results in severe pain and joint instability.
Though osteoarthritis may affect any set of joints in the body, it is more frequently observed the weight bearing joints like the knees and hips. Back pain may often be observed in cases of Osteoarthritis of the spine. Occasionally it may be observed in the neck, shoulder joint and the finger joints
The characteristic symptoms associated with OA include mild joint stiffness and pain which is aggravated in the morning and after physical activity and is alleviated by rest. The condition is also associated with mild to moderate edema and considerable reduction in the mobility of the joints.
Home Remedies for Management of Joint Pain: Natural Arthritis Treatment
Some of the readily available home remedies and supplements that have been found effective in the management of Osteoarthritis include,
Glucosamine is a cartilage building sugar compound which is considered useful in reliving pain associated with arthritis. Several large scale studies have assessed and ascertain the effectiveness of glucosamine supplements in management of OA. Some studies have shown that Glucosamine when used in combination with another cartilage binding sugar-chondroitin, helps increase its efficacy.
- Niacin supplements (Vitamin B3) is also considered beneficial in alleviating pain and inflammation associated with arthritis
- SAM (a form of amino acid methionine) is considered to have strong anti-inflammatory properties and is comparable to various other NSAIDs. It is also known to aid in the process of rebuilding the natural cartilage
- Cayenne cream contains capsaicin, which is known to inhibit the production of substance P, a chemical which is responsible for sending pain signals to the brain. Local application of the cream is considered beneficial in management of Joint pain.
Homeopathy for Osteoarthritis: Natural Cures for Osteoarthritis Knee
Homeopathy is considered to be beneficial in the management of both acute and chronic forms of osteoarthritis. Here are some homeopathic drugs that are found to have great effectiveness in the management of joint complaints.
Bryonia Alba: One of the leading drugs for management of joint ailments, Bryonia plays a crucial role in controlling inflammation and swelling within the joint. This in turn aids in improving the mobility of the joint and also aids in reducing pain.
- Rhus Tox: Rhus Tox is considered beneficial in management of joint disorders that are associated with morning stiffness. Rhus Tox is often considered more beneficial in the management of Rheumatoid Arthritis, though it can be used efficiently in the management of Osteoarthritis
- Calcaria Phosphoricum: A biochemic drug, calcaria phos plays a crucial role in strengthening the muscles and cartilage tissue around the joint and aids in reducing pain and inflammation. This drug is often used in combination with other homeopathic drugs.